Friday, March 11, 2011

Twitter for Teacher Networking

    After reading the online articles for this week (Langwitches Blog and Free Technology) (and looking at the posts from the educators that I follow, I was able to connect the two easily.  The articles suggested that teachers rarely have time/opportunities today to connect like we should.  I remember hearing about the teacher's lounge from my teachers when I was in school - it was described as an area of comiseration among the teachers.  Now, we are so burdened by our ever-increasing workload, demands of keeping ourselves abreast of teaching practices, and a total lack of time.  Unfortunately, this means collaboration and moral support is hard to come by.  I myself have felt this and wanted opportunities to reach out to my colleagues.  Twitter seems to be the perfect way.  Not only can I "follow" educators, but I also have the ability to tag them in my posts or search for revelant terms (using hashtags) and find suggestions/tips/etc. from other educators.  I actually was able to "follow" one of my previous professors from undergrad who is a fantastic foreign language educator.  I was so fortunate to find her on Twitter and be able to follow her posts.  What a new opportunity we have now with this technology!

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

So glad that you found one of your best former teachers!